Translate

Monday, April 2, 2018

Part 5 Mini Short Series

Fire, I knew that in order to do this without a quick start option, I would have to use the friction method of rubbing sticks. I started by collecting sturdy twigs and dry leaves and grass. After collecting quite a bit of the stuff, I began rubbing.

I quickly realized that when this is done in most movies, it is not how it works in real life. I eventually rigged up one of my shoe laces to a curved stick and wrapped a loop around another. Then I was able to "saw" the stick fast enough to get smoke. I then rigged up a small amount of dry leaves and grass under the spot I was rubbing on the larger piece of wood and got a small fire started.

This process only took me around two and half hours, yippee! Of course, my little bear friend just lay down and watched the entire process with the utmost disinterest.

With my hands raw and bleeding a little, I decided it was time to try and nab a fish from the creek that had sprouted from the stream we had been following earlier in the day.

Another great lesson was learned in this little adventure. Bear cubs are better equipped than I when it comes to fishing, also, they do not like to share until they are full.

I had taken one of my better, longer and stronger, sticks and sharpened one end of the thing, thinking that it would qualify as a spear. I walked over to the creek and started stabbing like a moron for about fifteen minutes, eventually the cub got up from it's spot near the little fire and sauntered over to check out the creek for itself.

I slumped down unto my rear end and watched with dismay as it waded into the water and began snatching up little Bluegill. I was so hungry that I didn't think about the fact that even though the bear had been a constant companion, it was not necessarily a pet. When I tried to grab one of the fish it had tossed unto the bank, I got swiped and cut, along with quite the growl from such a small beast.

I slowly backed away and slumped back down to the ground. Eventually the cub seemed satisfied with it's catch and came back up the little creek bank and began to munch away at the fish.

I began to become desperately hungry watching the little thing eat up most of the fish. I just kept staring and hoping there would be some scraps for me to burn up in the fire and eat.

At long last the young animal rolled away from it's fishy haul and started to lick itself. I took this as a sign that I could dig in, even though not much was left I did dig right in.

I ate the fish raw, bones, scales, eyes, and all the scraps I could. The taste was actually a little sweet, so no cooking on the fire, although later that night I would regret this choice.

To Be Continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Location Feedback Link (All comments are private)

Sparkman's Voice

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *